Wednesday, 25 November 2015
Tuesday, 24 November 2015
Challenge 3: Pull them together.
WALT made observations about effort and load.
- Two people will hold a stick each vertically. Try to pull them together with one hand on each stick.
- What simple machine could you use to help? A pulley
- Use the simple machine to pull the people together.
- How did you set up the simple machine? Make loops around the sticks
- Change the system around and try again.
- What do you notice? What do you need to do to make it easier?
- Which set up was easier? The one with more loops
- Which set up was harder? The one with only one loop
- Conclusion: What is the trade-off? (What do you need to do to move a heavy object with little effort?) Put more than two loops.
Use this table to record your observations.
Changes in the simple machine.
Difficulty to move the sticks (easy/medium/hard).
Difficulty to hold the sticks apart (easy/medium/hard).
Make 5 loops
Make only one loop
Have no rope
- Make an A4 poster / infographic about this challenge’s simple machine. Information it must have is:
- what the machine is used for
- how to make work easier
- what the trade off is
29.7 cm x 21 cm